The Provincial Council is the governing body of the Institute. The Council is made up from two groups - members of MIA elected by their peers and members of the public appointed in accordance with the Agrologists Act. The Council includes the Chair and the Vice-Chair and its main purpose is to establish policy for the Institute and set standards in the public interest.
The Council appoints committees required by the Act to ensure proper functioning of the MIA. The Committees are: Admission and Registration; Professional Standards and Compliance; Complaint Review; Judiciary; Audit; and, Governance.
Darren Keam, P.Ag., MIA Chair
Senior Soil Scientist
MMM Group Ltd.
Registered and practicing member since 2003
Casey Fox, P.Ag., MIA Vice-Chair
Associate Vice-President, Agriculture
Registered and practicing member since 2003
Manny Araullo, P.Ag.
Director of Nutrition
Registered and practicing member since 2009
Terry Betker, P.Ag.
President and CEO
Backswath Management Inc.
Registered and practicing member since 1989
Jill Caldwell, P.Ag.
Good Lands Environmental Inc.
Registered and practicing member since 2005
Robyn Harte, P.Ag.
Industry Development Specialist - Swine
Manitoba Agriculture, Food and Rural Development
Registered and practicing member since 2007
Mark Howe, P.Ag.
Director of Marketing & Professional Development
Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP
Registered and practicing member since 2001
Lori-Ann Kaminski, P.Ag.
Manitoba Wheat and Barley Growers Association and Cereals Canada
Registered and practicing member since 2004
Wendy McDonald, P.Ag.
Customer Service Manager
Parrish & Heimbecker
Registered and practicing member since 2008
Lynne Pinder, P.Ag.
Consultant, Animal Nutrition
Registered and practicing member since 2010
Ray Redfern, P.Ag.
Redfern Farm Services
Registered and practicing member since 1969
Karin Wittenberg, Ph.D., P.Ag.
Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, University of Manitoba
Registered and practicing member since 1984
John Carney, Provincial Council Appointee
Manitoba Livestock Manure Management
Colleen Dyck, Provincial Council Appointee
The Great Gorp Project
D. Salín Guttormsson, LL.B, Provincial Council Appointee
Manitoba Association of Medical Radiation Technologists
The Council Committee Leads and their responsibilities are:
Admission and Registration - Wendy McDonald, P.Ag.
- Makes recommendations to Council regarding requirements and standards for admission and registration as a member of MIA.
- Considers applications for admission and registration in accordance with the Act, the Bylaws and policies, and decides whether to approve, place conditions upon, suspend, or refuse an application.
Professional Standards and Compliance - Ray Redfern, P.Ag.
- Identifies, defines, and makes recommendations to Council regarding standards of practice for agrology in general, for each member category, and any specialties as required in the best interests of the public.
- Identifies, defines and makes recommendations to Council regarding continuing competence requirements and the assessment of those requirements in the best
interests of the public.
- Makes a referral to the Complaint Review Committee regarding competence or unprofessional conduct.
Complaint Review - Appointed as Necessary
- Elected members of Council and members of the Judiciary Committee are not allowed to sit on this Committee.
- Recommends related procedures to Council.
- Reviews complaints about members.
- Investigates a complaint in accordance with the Act, the Bylaws and policies, by taking any steps the committee considers necessary, including summoning before it the member whose conduct is the subject of the complaint.
- Makes a written report to the Judiciary Committee recommending action regarding formal complaints.
Judiciary Committee - Appointed as Necessary
- Elected members of Council and members of the Complaint Committee are not allowed to sit on this committee.
- Recommends related procedures to Council and publish all approved procedures to the public.
- Reviews reports received from the Complaint Review Committee.
- Conducts a hearing if necessary and make written orders and impose penalties or conditions on a member in accordance with the Act, the bylaws and policies.
Audit - Lori-Ann Kaminski, P.Ag.
- Specifies scope of audit prior to outside audit.
- Identifies a slate of competent auditors from which the Council can choose.
Governance - Karin Wittenberg, P.Ag.
- Screens potential Council members for Council consideration.
- Assures that training of new Council members is completed.
- Assures that Bylaws and the Act are current and relevant.
- Identifies a multi-year strategy to assure a legislative environment conducive to regulation in the public interest for Council consideration and implementation
- Prepares for the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and AGM plan document for Council consideration.
Jim Weir, Executive Director/Registrar, email@example.com
Estel Facundo, Administrative Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Merin, Admission and Registration Assistant, email@example.com