Is my complaint confidential?

Your complaint will be treated confidentially unless required by law. Anonymous and confidential submissions will only be disclosed to persons who need to know in order to carry out an investigation of the complaint.

Will my complaint cost me money?

MIA does not charge a fee to file a complaint or to investigate a complaint. You are responsible for the cost of your time if a hearing is required. If you decide to hire a lawyer or hire other outside expertise you will be responsible for their costs.

Are there any complaints that MIA will NOT investigate?

MIA will NOT investigate complaints such as (but not limited to):

  • A dispute over fees or contractual terms and conditions
  • Concerns outside the practice of Agrology
  • Rumors or innuendo not supported by facts

How long will it take for my complaint to be resolved?

MIA will do its best to resolve complaints as quickly as possible. Because there is a range of possible actions resulting from a complaint, there is no defined complaint resolution period.

Will MIA help me resolve a dispute with another party?

MIA may be able to refer you to another agency but our current resources do not include direct mediation or dispute resolution.

The agriculture industry is like a family, the members often know each well. The MIA Code of Ethics and Conduct suggests that it may be appropriate to discuss your concerns directly when the other party is also an Agrologist. It may be possible to consider having a constructive conversation without the situation turning into a damaging battle. The complaints process is available when that option does not seem realistic or when the other party is not a registered Agrologist.

Do you need to hire a professional Advisor?

This article may help, "Hiring an Advisor for your Farm".

What is required to become registered?

Review the Registration page on the MIA website.

Where can I find information on the MIA Code of Ethics?

Read the Code of Ethics on the MIA website.

How can I find out if someone is registered?

Search the MIA Registry page on the MIA website.

What if I believe someone is practising Agrology without being registered as a member of MIA?

If you believe that someone who is representing him or herself as an Agrologist is not registered, or is not qualified to practise Agrology, you may use the Complaints Form to contact MIA.

Practising Agrology without being registered is known as Unauthorized Practice. MIA and other provincial institutes are working on better education and monitoring activities as the scope of Agrology practice and agricultural products and services has changed over time.

There are some circumstances where an exemption from registration may be possible under The Agrologists Act. Only MIA may grant an exemption. However, the Act makes it very clear that "A person who is not a member in good standing of the institute shall not practise Agrology."

The Agrologists Act and other provincial laws exist to protect the public interest against individuals who are providing advice that only a qualified member of MIA is allowed to provide. MIA will take appropriate action to protect the public when these laws are broken and MIA is informed.