Frequently Asked Questions

What is MIA?

The Manitoba Institute of Agrologists is the organization that licenses agrologists, regulates the practice of agrology in the province in Manitoba and acts as a voice for agrologists.

What is an agrologist?

An agrologist is a professional who is a member of a provincial institute of agrology. Practicing agrology includes every act, with or without reward, which has as its objective the experimentation with or the giving of advice with respect to the principles, laws or practices relating to the production, improvement, use, processing or marketing of agricultural products, crops or livestock. In Manitoba, only members of the Manitoba Institute of Agrologists can legally call themselves agrologists.

Agrologists are farmers, right?

Some farmers are agrologists but farmers are not required to be members unless they hold themselves out to be an agrologist.

Who can become an Agrologist?

Those who meet the criteria established by Provincial Council can be considered for one of the following designations:

  • Professional Agrologist (P.Ag.) status may be granted to those who hold a degree from the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, University of Manitoba or a degree deemed to be its equivalent and who have a minimum of three years' work experience in agriculture after their academic training. Persons with acceptable advanced degrees (Master's or PhD) may be considered for P.Ag. status with only one year of work-related experience.
  • Technical Agrologist (Tech.Ag.) status may be granted to those who have a diploma in agriculture from the School of Agriculture, University of Manitoba or a diploma in Agribusiness or Precision Agriculture from Assiniboine Community College and who have a minimum of three years' work experience in agriculture after their academic training.
  • Agrologist in Training (AIT) status may be granted to those with acceptable academic qualifications but less than three years' related work experience.

Are there different kinds of memberships?

There are three categories of practising agrologists, P.Ag., Tech.Ag. and AIT. There are also non-practising members of MIA.

  • Affiliate: For members eligible for a practicing designation, but who do not wish to practice agrology at the current time.
  • Associate: For members who do not meet the educational requirements for membership, but still wish to be associated with MIA.
  • Student: For students registered in a post-secondary institution, taking courses in an agriculture and food science discipline.

Will becoming a member help me find a job?

By becoming an agrologist and using the appropriate designation, you are indicating to employers and the public that you are willing

  • to be accountable,
  • to maintain professional standards,
  • to continually improve your skills, and
  • to be guided by a code of ethics.

These are all characteristics that are valuable to an employer. Additionally by belonging to MIA, you have the opportunity to network and keep abreast of developments and opportunities in the profession. This is invaluable in finding a job.

What type of career opportunities are there for an agrologist?

The career opportunities are many and varied. Not only are there the traditional career areas that have always been part of the agricultural and agri-food industry but there are new areas such as biotechnology, functional foods and nutraceuticals, and quality assurance and food safety.

How many female agrologists are there?

Female agrologists make up 18% of the membership of MIA.

What are the benefits of becoming a P.Ag. or a Tech.Ag.?

Some of the benefits of membership in MIA include:

  • the right to practice agrology in Manitoba,
  • a subscription to The Agrologist, the quarterly newsletter of the Institute,
  • the opportunity to network with other members with similar interests,
  • the opportunity to attend conferences and meetings on topics of interest to the agricultural community, and
  • enhanced opportunities for professional skill development through Institute seminars and continuing professional development.

What are the requirements of an AIT to become a P.Ag., or Tech.Ag.?

To advance from AIT to P.Ag or Tech. Ag, the AIT must:

  1. Complete the Professionalism and Legal Liabilities seminar (both sessions)
  2. Attend three branch meetings, or one branch meeting plus the MIA Annual Meeting.
  3. Receive a satisfactory report from his or her sponsor.